What are affirmative action measures?
Affirmative action is a way of making the workplace more representative and fair. It connects qualified people from designated groups with equal opportunities in the workplace. Affirmative action falls under the EEA and must be linked with your EEPlan to be lawful.
Examples of such AA measures must also include:
· Conducting a barrier analysis and implementing measures to remove the anomalies identified
· The promotion of measures which promote a diverse workforce
· Making reasonable accommodation for people from designated groups
· Retention, development and training of people from designated groups (including skills development)
· Preferential treatment and numerical goals to ensure equitable representation
Andrea de Jongh, Employment Lawyer and Privacy Governance Specialist. Making legal concepts accessible.